Beginning FALL 2013, all students admitted to the College of Business (CoB) Undergraduate program, whether a BBA or a BS, will be entering under a Tiered Progression Program. The Tiered Progression Program is designed to:
- Increase understanding and awareness of the courses and required skills of being a business major.
- Encourage advancement at an acceptable pace to timely graduation.
- Support each student in making informed decisions about a “best fit” major according to their skills, abilities and goals.
- Increase student satisfaction with and ownership of their education.
To meet the above program goals, students will progress through the tiered structure program which provides enhanced and early academic and career support. The tiered program structure consists of the following three tiers:
Tier One—Pre-business (PBUS) :
- All COB undergraduate majors including:
- All new freshmen
- New transfer students with a 2.0 or better overall gpa
- All continuing UNT change of major students with a 2.0 or better UNT gpa
- All continuing PBUS majors
- Meet the following continuation requirements to remain PBUS each semester:
- Meet with an advisor
- Participate in at least two developmental activities, such as enrollment in BUSI 1340, career workshop, learning center workshop, REAL community, etc.
- All PBUS majors are restricted to freshmen/sophomore business courses
Tier Two—Business Undergraduate (BUND):
- Completion of 9 hours (or equivalent) of the prebusiness prerequisite courses, with a grade of C or better, from the following list: college level math, ACCT 2010, ACCT 2020, ECON 1100, ECON 1110, DSCI 2710.
- 2.7 or higher UNT cumulative gpa
- Students will apply through CoB Undergraduate Advising for a change of major status from PBUS to BUND at any time they meet eligibility requirements.
- New transfer students with a 2.7 cumulative transfer gpa and completion of the 9 hours of the above equivalent pre-business prerequisite courses with a grade of C or better can apply for a change of major immediately upon enrollment or during their first semester at UNT.
- All BUND majors are restricted to freshmen/sophomore business courses
Tier Three—Declared Business Major
- All students with a 2.7 or higher UNT cumulative gpa and completion of all 27 hours of pre-business prerequisites may file for an official degree plan as a declared major in the College of Business. The 27 hours of pre-business prerequisites are ENGL 1310/1320; MATH 1190; ECON 1100 and 1110; ACCT 2010 and 2020; BCIS 2610; DSCI 2710.
- Tier Three students are eligible to enroll in junior/senior level business courses once they meet with an advisor to declare their major.
- Tier Three students are encouraged to meet with their faculty/departmental advisor in addition to meeting with advisors in the Undergraduate Advising Office.