Undergraduate Program FAQ

What is the difference between ITDS and BCIS and DSCI?

ITDS is the name of our department. This name does NOT appear on any of UNT’s diplomas, or as a course prefix. We offer a B.S. in Business Computer Information Systems (BCIS) and a B.B.A. in Decision Sciences (DSCI). Both names appear on the appropriate diplomas, and as course prefixes (DSCI as of fall 2005).

What is the difference between Computer Science and BCIS?

Computer science studies computer operations with the aim of improving the physical operation of the computer; the end user is the computer itself. BCIS studies the application of computer systems to the business needs of organizations. See our web site (itds2.unt.edu) for more details.

How do I apply for one of your programs?

Contact CoB Student Advising. Visit the Undergraduate Advising homepage.

I’m going to transfer from another school, what courses can I use?

CoB Student Advising (BUSI 123) decides that for all courses except in the major (BCIS, DSCI). ITDS decides transfer questions concerning major courses: bring the appropriate form from CoB Student Advising and a detailed syllabus (a course catalogue description is NOT enough).

I want to take classes elsewhere; what courses will transfer?

CoB Student Advising has a list of community college courses that will transfer; contact BUSI 123 for that information. If major courses, contact ITDS Advising, because those questions are resolved on a case-by-case basis.

Will BCIS 4800 apply to my degree plan?

BCIS 4800 do NOT count toward the BS in BCIS degree.

I want to know what my progress is on completing my degree plan.

Make an appointment with CoB Student Advising (BUSI 123).

I need an advising code.

ITDS does not use advising codes except for 6000-level courses. If you are an undergraduate and need an advising code, see the CoB Student Advising Office (BUSI 123).

I’m blocked from registering.

ITDS does not block students; CoB does (and sometimes UNT). Contact CoB Student Advising (BUSI 123).

The course is closed.

ITDS never has a waiting list for BCIS 2610, BCIS 3610, DSCI 2710, or DSCI 3710. If another closed course, ITDS will start a waiting list after the Registrar’s Office has purged the class rolls of those students who preregistered but did not pay their fees on time. You must see a ITDS advisor in person (not by telephone or by email) to have your name placed on a waiting list. Graduating seniors (they must show their Graduation Application Receipt from BUSI 123) have first priority on any list.

The teacher said I could get in a closed class.

NO BCIS or DSCI teacher has the authority to put any student in his/her class. Only the ITDS Department can do that, using the waiting list policy (see FAQ #9).

I want to be cleared to take 3000-level and higher classes.

Make an appointment with CoB Student Advising (BUSI 123).

I want to file for graduation.

Make an appointment with CoB Student Advising (BUSI 123).

I want you to put me in a different section of the same course.

ITDS will not do that; students use the drop-add process to change schedules.

How will you contact me?

ITDS always uses your EagleMail account.

I want to complain about a course.

ITDS follows the published UNT procedures (see course catalog or student handbook). You must first try to resolve the problem by discussing it with your instructor. You may find it easier to write an email or letter about your concern; this gives both you and the instructor time to consider carefully what to say and how to say it. If you wish to appeal the instructor’s decision, you must submit your concern in writing to the coordinator (if there is one for your course), who will require at least two business days to evaluate your request before seeing you personally. If you wish to appeal the coordinator’s decision, or if there isn’t a coordinator for your class, then you must submit your concern in writing to the ITDS Chair, who also will require at least two business days to evaluate your request before seeing you personally. UNT documentation provides for still higher levels of appeal. However, the farther away you get from the instructor-level, the more people evaluate whether everyone has followed the published appeal process and the less people investigate other matters, ex., grades.