THOMAS CLIFTON TERRELL
2816 Brookshire Drive, Grapevine, Texas 76051 Phone: Metro (817) 329-0140
Fax: (817) 481-7538 E-mail: tomterrell@.msn.com, Cell: (214)564-5033
EDUCATION & TRAINING
- BA, University of Oklahoma (OU), Norman, Oklahoma, 1961, History major, English/Philosophy minor.
- Attended OU as a United States Navy Midshipman on four-year United States Navy Scholarship.
- Graduated from OU and Commissioned as a Second Lieutenant in the United States Marine Corps in Aug 1961.
- Graduated from Marine Officers Basic School and Communication Officers School in Quantico, Virginia in 1962. Executive Officer, Company H, Marine Support Battalion, Naval Security Group Activity, Key West, Florida 1963-1966.
- Operations Officer (S-3) 7th Comm. Bn. 1966, Chu Lai, Vietnam.
- Commanding Officer, Communications Support Company, 7th Communications Battalion and Communications Officer for the Dong Ha Combat Base in the Republic of Vietnam in 1967.
- Attained rank of Captain, United States Marine Corps.
- Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, 44 hours post graduate work in Religious Education 1968-70.
- Texas Wesleyan University School of Law, 12 hours post graduate work in legal subjects.
- Texas Licensed Real Estate Broker 1976 to present; Licensed Salesperson 1971-1976.
- Texas Licensed Mortgage Broker 2000-August 2011. (Loan officer and later mortgage broker 1995-1998 before licensing was required)
- Former member of the Texas Real Estate Commission’s Broker/Lawyer Committee which revises and recommends new TREC Promulgated Contract forms to the TREC Commissioners for approval and adoption.
- Texas Real Estate Teachers Association (TRETA), Life member, repeat conference speaker.
- National Association of Mortgage Planners (NAMP), Co-Founder, life member, trainer, former Chairman of the Board.NAMP was created as a professional association of mortgage brokers committed to fiduciary based mortgage planning and placement for the client borrower’s best interest.
- Texas Real Estate Buyer Agents Association (TREBAA) Life Member and Recipient of the Distinguished Service Award as “Outstanding Consumer Advocate and Real Estate Agency Educator.”
- Current Member of the National Association of REALTORS, Texas Association of REALTORS, MetroTex Association of REALTORS.
CURRENTLY CONTRACTED TO TEACH AS ADJUNCT INSTRUCTOR OR ASSISTANT ADJUNCT INSTRUCTOR IN 2017 FOR:
- University of North Texas (UNT);
- University of North Texas Dallas (UNTD) (no course this Spring semester due to low enrollment)
- Cedar Valley College (CVC);
Subjects at these institutions include one or more of the following subject areas:
- Real Estate Agency,
- Principles of Real Estate,
- Real Estate Law
- Real Estate Math
- Real Estate Appraisal
CURRENTLY APPROVED BY THE TEXAS REAL ESTATE COMMISSION (TREC) TO TEACH THE FOLLOWING COURSES
Through September 30, 2017: (renewed every 2 years) (TREC Instructor Lic. No. 1965)
Principles of Real Estate; Real Estate Math; Real Estate Marketing; Real Estate Finance; Law of Contracts; Real Estate Law; Real Estate Brokerage; Real Estate Investments; Promulgated Contract Forms; Law of Agency.
Through December 31, 2017 (renewed every 2 years) ) (TREC Instructor Lic. No. 1965)
“Legal Update MCE” and “Ethics Update MCE” through December 31, 2017.
PREVIOUSLY TAUGHT FOR: (In addition to teaching or instead of teaching, also developed and/or administered real estate and/or paralegal programs for entities designated with “*”
- * University of North Texas’s Professional Development Institute (PDI);
- * Texas Christian University (TCU);
- * Texas Wesleyan College (TWC);
- * Texas Wesleyan University (TWU) School of Law;
- Texas Women’s College (TWC);
- Tarrant County Junior College (TCJC);
- * University of Texas at Arlington (UTA);
- American College of Real Estate (ACRE) at multiple locations in Central and North Texas locations;
- Continuing Education Institute (CEI) at multiple locations from Odessa, Midland, Tyler, Longview, and from Wichita Falls to Waco, Killeen, Temple, and including Dallas, Fort Worth, Arlington and other Mid-Cities locations;
- Taught in-classroom classes for Continuing Education Through Correspondence (CETC) and served as “phone-in” instructor for correspondence courses;
- Purvis Real Estate Training Institute (RETI);
- Numerous Associations of REALTORS® across Texas such as Abilene, Midland, Odessa, Amarillo, Wichita Falls, Waco, Killeen, Temple, Johnson County, Tyler, Sherman, Denton, Lewisville, Dallas, Ft Worth, NE Tarrant County;
- *Individual real estate brokerage offices in several of the same cities listed above;
- *Guest Speaker at numerous state and national real estate conventions, including RE/MAX Galveston, TRETA; and the National Association of Exclusive Buyer Brokers’ (NAEBA) Conventions in Washington, D.C, and Orlando, Florida;
- DCCCD’s Bill J. Priest Institute for Economic Development in multiple courses in Mortgage Brokerage; and
- Monroe County, Florida Public School system as substitute teacher while full-time in USMC stationed in Key West Florida serving as Executive Officer and Training Officer of Company H, Marine Support Battalion, Naval Security Group Activity, Key West, Fla.
AWARDS, DESIGNATIONS AND ORGANIZATIONS
- Awarded Adjunct Instructor of Year for Cedar Valley College (CVC) 2006 and nominated for the same honor for the seven-campus Dallas County Community College District.
- Subsequently, awarded the 2006-2007 “Excellence in Teaching Award for Adjunct Faculty” for the entire seven-campus Dallas County Community College District.
- Co-Honored along with wife, Kathleen Terrell, as “Affiliate of the Year” by the Arlington Board of R® in Arlington, Texas
- Nominated for Adjunct Instructor of the Year at Brookhaven College (BHC).
- Current Member of the National Association of REALTORS®, Texas Association of REALTORS®, MetroTex Association of REALTORS® and MLS.
- Attained Professional NAR recognized designations in Real Estate of Accredited Buyer Representative (ABR) and Seniors Real Estate Specialist (SRES)
- Nationally qualified instructor having taught REBAC/NAR approved courses in Agency and Buyer Representation for CEI at several locations in Texas.
- Rated one of REBAC’s five highest rated instructors nationally with the RealtyU “5.0 Club Award”.
- Texas Real Estate Teachers Association (TRETA), Life Member.
- Co-Founder, life member, trainer, former Chairman of the Board for the National Association of Mortgage Planners (NAMP),
- Co-founder of Texas Real Estate Buyer Agents Association (TREBAA) Life Member and Recipient of the Distinguished Service Award as “Outstanding Consumer Advocate and Real Estate Agency Educator.”
- Awarded Bronze Star with Combat ‘V’ for Valor for“…heroic achievement in connection with operations against insurgent Communist (Viet Cong) forces ...” in 1967
- Awarded Navy Commendation Medal w/Combat ‘V’ in Republic of Vietnam during same period for outstanding performance of duty in a combat situation as Communications Officer for the Dong Ha Combat base.
- Awarded Purple Heart for action in the Republic of Vietnam during same period
PRESENTATIONS AND SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS BEFORE PROFESSIONAL AND TRADE ORGANIZATIONS:
- Featured educator at the 1997 national convention of the National Association of Exclusive Buyer Agents (NAEBA) in Orlando, Florida
- Featured speaker at the second 1997 national convention of the National Association of Exclusive Buyer Agents (NAEBA) in Washington, D.C
- Seminar instructor for NAEBA convention in Dallas, Texas
- Training seminars for the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) on valuing and marketing properties for disposition subsequent to bank take-over process
- Former radio talk show host for my own program called “Real Estate Realities” with KGBS “Hot Talk Radio” 1190 AM, a call-in program for consumers of real estate services and professionals in a special interest and Q&A format.
- Southern Methodist University (SMU) Real Estate Consumer Education Seminars, guest speaker. 1998-2000
- Repeat Conference speaker for Texas Real Estate Teachers Association (TRETA).
- Guest speaker at training seminar for the Tarrant County Appraisal Review Board in Arlington Texas regarding taxation and appraisal issues.
DEVELOPED and/or ADMINISTERED CONTINUING EDUCATION REAL ESTATE PROGRAMS FOR:
- The University of Texas at Arlington (UTA),
- Texas Wesleyan College (TWC),
- Dallas/Fort Worth School of Law
- Texas Christian University, (TCU), and
- UNT’s Professional Development Institute (PDI.)
- In 1994, co-authored, with attorney John Reilly, the first edition and two subsequent editions, of “Texas Real Estate Agency”, a college textbook for real estate courses in agency relationships. The publisher was Real Estate Education Company, a division of Dearborn Financial Publishing, Inc. The first addition of that book was the first textbook (to my knowledge) in Texas based solely on the subject of real estate agency relationships for prospective and active Texas real estate licensees. This text was approved by the Texas Real Estate Commission for use as a text in several colleges and universities in Texas offering pre and post real estate licensing courses.
- In July of 2014 completed contributing editor work to completely reorganize the text to conform to new TREC regulations for the 8th edition of the text.
- Formerly under contract with Educational Textbook Company (ETC), a California based publisher of real estate texts, to co-author that company’s first real estate agency text for Texas. The text was adopted for use by several universities and colleges including UNT and CVC, as well as proprietary real estate schools, including the Arlington Board of REALTORS® Real Estate School.
- Expert Witness since 1991 in real estate lawsuits involving “broker conduct”, “breach of fiduciary duty”, and “deceptive trade practice”.
- Previously owned P.R.E.P.A.R.E. Mortgage and a previously Texas licensed mortgage broker for nine years.
- Prior to the passage of licensing laws for mortgage brokers in Texas, was a loan officer from 1995 to 1998 and an unlicensed mortgage broker from 1998 to 2000, prior to passage of licensing laws
- Owner of P.R.E.P.A.R.E Real Estate and currently a Texas licensed real estate broker,
- Owner of a real estate education consulting company, Real Estate Education Consultants.
- First Headmaster for Happy Hill Farm Christian Academy, Glen Rose Texas (1977). Now known as North Central Texas Academy at Happy Hill Farm, Granbury, Texas.
PUBLICATION, PAPERS, ARTICLES:
- Contributing Editor for 8th Edition of Texas Real Estate Agency for Dearborn, 2014
- 1st Edition of Texas Real Estate Agency with John Reilly and Dearborn Publishing, Inc. 1994
- 2nd Edition of Texas Real Estate Agency with John Reilly. Dearborn Financial Publishing, Inc, 1995
- 1st Edition of Texas Real Estate Agency. I was a contributing author, with principal author, Rod Rodriguez. Educational Textbook Company, Inc. 2006
- “Choosing to Champion”, Article in TAR Magazine (Ghost written for Gloria Van Zandt, Arlington broker)
- “The Buyer Broker Revolution” 1988 article for Dallas Association of REALTORS magazine “Newsline”
Reilly, John and Thomas Terrell, Texas Real Estate Agency, 1st Edition. (Chicago, Real Estate Education Company, 1994) Discusses basic legal and ethical issues in the formation, conduct, and termination of agency relationships and fiduciary duties of real estate licensees acting as agents in real estate transactions in Texas.
Reilly, John and Thomas Terrell, Texas Real Estate Agency, 2d Edition (Chicago, Real Estate Education Company, 1994) Revised to include new laws regarding intermediary relationships and new Texas laws governing those relationships with regard for the ethical and practical implications for real estate licensees attempting to practice this new form of “semi-agency” relationship in the licensee’s real estate transactions.
Huber, Walt, Rod M. Rodriguez, and Thomas Terrell, Texas Real Estate Agency, 1st and 2nd Editions (Covina, California Educational Textbook Company, Inc. 2006) This updated look at Texas laws governing real estate licensees and their legal and ethical duties in real estate transactions has been in use in a number of colleges, universities and proprietary schools in Texas.
Peeples, Peeples, and Williams Texas Real Estate Agency 8th Edition, 2014 Dearborn Real Estate Education
Real Estate subjects; History; Philosophy; Military subjects