The PLP Executive Mentoring Program partners PLP members with top executives for real business experiences through participating in business transactions, meetings, negotiations, strategic planning sessions and networking opportunities. Volunteering to be a mentor allows mentors to create opportunities for students beyond the classroom through a partnership of applied experiences and interaction. Mentees are appropriately matched with mentors who have the same goals and expectations of the relationship; and who have similar career aspirations. PLP seeks mentors who commit to providing constructive feedback; creating a safe learning environment for inquiries; encouraging growth opportunities; contributing positively to the mentees' confidence; offering challenges; teaching by example; and encouraging the exploration of ideas.
For top business executives in the DFW area to provide coaching, mentoring, objectivity and sound guidance on issues affecting career and professional development to members of PLP.
Objective 1: Help the student develop his or her career vision.
Objective 2: Create environment that allows for professional development in business and social settings.
Objective 3: Take student from academic thinking to helping them develop the leadership edge for any professional environment.
Objective 4: Provide resources that will aid the student in career decisions.
Objective 5: Increase individual strengths through positive coaching and experiences.
Objective 6: Provide professional and social networking opportunities.
- Meet with mentee minimum of once every 4-6 weeks
- Job Shadowing – highly encouraged for those who are able and/or willing to allow mentee to do so
- Attend at least one PLP sponsored event with mentee each year
- Keep continuous open lines of communication with mentee and PLP staff
- Encouraged attendance at End of the Year Recognition Banquet in the spring
- Encouraged attendance to Orientation/ Kick Off events each semester and Midyear Review in November
Suggested Topics of Discussion
- Servant leadership
- Business etiquette
- Appropriate business dress
- Professional leadership
- Giving presentations
- Expectations of workforce
- Career paths, highlights & downfalls
- Goal setting
- Interviewing skills and experiences
- Life lessons
- The art of “netweaving”
- Balancing work and life
- Prioritizing/time management
- Resume/business writing
- Implementation of new ideas, techniques, etc.
- Evaluating potential employers and/or offers
- Strategic career planning and specific steps needed to get there