Applications for the 2019-2020 program year have closed. Please check back in December 2019.
The Professional Leadership Program (PLP) is a mentoring, leadership, and soft-skills development program for students at the University of North Texas. The purpose of PLP is to give our students exposure to the leadership skills needed to be a servant leader in any industry or position they seek after college. Students are given the opportunity to network with the corporate community, attend weekly employability development programs, and engage in a yearlong mentoring relationship with industry professionals.
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.25
- Junior, Senior or Graduate student
- Coachable mentality
- Good conduct and financial standing with the university
- Completion of online application, including two UNT faculty/staff references
- Completion of live interview
What To Expect
- Servant Leadership Cultivation
- Soft-Skills Professional Development
- Weekly Employability Workshops
- 1-on-1 Industry Mentoring
- Corporate Networking
- Community Service Opportunity
- Expansive Alumni Network
- 1-Year Program Commitment (August – May)
- Mandatory Weekly Attendance
- Regularity in Mentoring Relationship (Once per month)
- Community Service Requirements
PLP Meetings are held every Wednesday from 4:00 – 6:00 p.m. for block I and 5:00 – 7:00 p.m. for block II in the Business Leadership Building (BLB) on UNT campus. Weekly attendance is mandatory.
- Resume Writing
- Interviewing Skills
- Money Management
- Servant Leadership
- Professional Dress
- Entering the Workforce
- Negotiating Skills
- Personal Branding
- Global & Cultural Awareness
- Experiences of an Entrepreneur
- Ethics & Integrity
- Dos & Don’ts of the First 90 Days
Each PLP student member is paired with a DFW industry mentor who will provide coaching, mentoring, objectivity and sound guidance on issues affecting career and professional development.
The objectives of the Mentoring Program are:
- Help the student develop his or her career vision
- Create an environment that allows for professional development in business and social settings
- Take the student from “college” thinking to professional thinking
- Provide resources that will aid the student in career decisions
- Create professional and social networking opportunities
How To Apply
Applications for the 2019 – 2020 academic year are open until March 22, 2019.
Click here to begin your student application.